In 2011, Snapchat was synonymous with risky teen behavior. The media coverage repeatedly warned parents of the adverse effects of the platform and, as a result, Snapchat's success did not look good.
Since that time, Snapchat has evolved. And while this is certainly not the cornerstone of every marketing strategy, the chain has forged a reputation for rapid growth and innovation.
Snapchat is now known as a platform for the 19459003 and 19459 brands allows users to create fast, lightweight and educational video content without using valuable production resources. For brands, this means a new opportunity to showcase their corporate culture, share their industry knowledge and communicate with their audience in new and exciting ways.
Get our Snapchat User Guide for Business here. More than 100 million active users a day and 8 billion video views a day, we decided to try it: the HubSpot Snapchat official account was launched in March 2016. Since then, we have learned a lot about Execution and iteration strategy
To get you started, we detailed everything we learned below. In this guide we will review:
- How to set up your Snapchat account.
- How to create, send and view Snapchats.
- How to use Snapchat Goals and Geofilters.
- How to add and acquire friends or subscribers.
- How to improve your use of Snapchat for businesses.
How to set up your Snapchat account
The first thing to do is to download the Snapchat mobile app – available for iOS and Android – and create an account by entering your email address, a name of your mobile account. user and password. This will be your personal account and you will be able to use it to create a Snapchat business account.
1. Sign up on Snapchat's home screen.
Once you have downloaded the Snapchat mobile app, open it and the screen below appears.
Press "Registration" and the application will take you to the registration page, starting by your name and first name.
Then you will enter your
- Username and password.
- Email address.
- Phone number.
- Friends to add.
Add friends from the registration screen will help you find Snapchat friends are also in your phone's contact list. You can skip this for the moment if you wish – we will talk more about adding friends in step 4.
However, do not forget that during of creating a user name, Snapchat does not allow you to change your user name once you have set it.
2. Create a profile picture with the help of Bitmoji.
Once your account is created, you will want to take care of some maintenance tasks. The first is your profile picture – this image will show how people identify you when sending and receiving snapshots.
To create your profile picture, tap <img src = "https://blog.hubspot.com/hs-fs/hubfs/snapchat-profile-photo-icon.png?t=1536302033094&width=32&name=snapchat -profile-photo-icon.png "alt =" icon at the top left of the camera screen.Then press "Create Bitmoji" as shown below:
Bitmoji is a free and separate application that integrates with Snapchat.Avatar illustrated by yourself.Once you have selected this option via Snapchat, you will be able to download the Bitmoji application and customize your profile photo. Here's what the customization process looks like:
Once you have designed a Bitmoji that looks like you, follow the instructions to connect your Bitmo The screen below will indicate that your Snapchat profile picture has been officially set:
3. Adjust your privacy settings.
In Snapchat, tap your new Bitmoji icon at the top of the camera screen to access your profile page. Then press the gear icon to access your settings in the upper right corner.
Adjust your preferences accordingly. You will be able to change who can contact you, view your story and even see your location. In most of these sections, you have the choice between those who can do these three things:
- Everyone Whether your friends are on Snapchat or not.
- My friends stating that only those you have added as a friend can see your pictures.
- Custom where you can select specific users to include and exclude as viewers of your content. 19659042] 4. Add your friends.
The addition of friends in Snapchat allows you to see the stories of these users (a feature we'll talk about in a minute), and that alert those users.
To add friends, tap your Bitmoji at the top of the camera screen for access your profile. page. Then, tap the "Add friends" option, as shown above. From there you will be able to add friends by:
- User Name. To add a friend by his username, simply type his username using the search bar at the top of your screen.
- Contacts. To add friends based on your phone's address book, tap the "Contacts" tab at the top of your screen and select "Continue" at the bottom. Allow Snapchat to search your contacts in Snapchat by the phone number you have registered on each person, and the app will start extracting contacts in Snapchat so that you can send friend requests.
- Snapcode. Your Snapcode is contained in the yellow background that surrounds your Bitmoji, as you can see in the screenshot above (believe it or not, these black dots embedded in the yellow frame are unique in your account). To add someone as a friend through his Snapcode, you must have an image of this Snapcode saved in the camera role of your phone. Once you've captured this photo, turn it into a Snapchat friend by selecting "Snapcode" at the top of your screen and selecting the photo.
How to create, send and view snapchats
message from one account to one (or more) other accounts. These messages disappear immediately after the display and may contain photos, videos or images downloaded from your phone.
To send a photo, open the camera screen and press or anywhere on the screen for capture the photo. To send a video clip, hold . By holding down the key, and by swiping quickly to the left, you can execute the recording without pressing the button.
Creating and Sending a Snap
Once you have a photo or video, you have 10 options before you press Send. See an explanation of each numbered icon under the next screenshot.
By tapping on the # 1 icon, as shown above, you simply return to the camera screen, where you can take a new picture.
2. Save the snapshot in your memories.
All Snapchat content is ephemeral, which means that the capture disappears after 24 hours – if added to your Story – or is deleted after the friends have sent it to you. Saving a snap in your memories, however, allows you to keep the snap permanently and display it in your own private photo gallery.
3. Add only the photo to your story.
A Snapchat story is a photo or video that is visible to all your friends for 24 hours. You can create multiple pictures / videos displayed successively to create a longer story. Most brands use this feature because it allows you to reach a wider audience.
To create a story on Snapchat, follow the steps above to create a snap-in. When you are ready to send it, press the icon # 3 as shown above. This will allow you to save your capture to "My Story", making it visible only to those who have added you as a friend; or "Our Story", which adds it to a collection of stories from other Snapchatters that are in the same place or at the same event.
4. Add text to your capture.
Tap the "T" icon to add text to your snap, pulling the keypad from your phone where you can create a caption for your font in any font, color or cut. Check out an example of our event, INBOUND:
Tap on the pen icon to access a digital pen that you can use by swiping your finger on the screen. Change the color of this pen by sliding your finger on the colorimeter located at the top right of your snap-in, as shown below:
<img src = "https://blog.hubspot.com/hs -fs / hubfs / snapchat-draw.png? t = 1536302033094 & width = 250 & name = snapchat-draw.png "alt =" Snapchat INBOUND 2018 with orange arrows] 6. Add stickers to your shot.
Press # Notepad icon to display a gallery of fun and illustrated images You can use these "stickers" to annotate your snap, as shown below:
7. Create a sticker from your snap.
Tap the scissors icon to cut out a part of your component snap-in and paste it on this or more images that you could take ul See what a sticker creates below:
8. Attach a hyperlink to your file.
Tap the trombone icon to access a search bar. Type the URL of any Web site and attach this URL as a hyperlink to your snap-in so that your friends and your readers can click on it. This is a great feature for companies to use when promoting content from their blog or website.
9. Change the duration of your snap-in.
Tap the stopwatch icon to set how long your snap remains on your friend's screen (or plays if it's a video ). Your timing options range from 1 to 10 seconds – or to infinity, which will keep track on your friends' screen until they are no longer taken in charge. For videos, the stopwatch icon allows you to set the number of times that the video will pass on the screen of your friends before closing the capture.
10. Send your photo to your friends.
Once you are satisfied with your snap-in, press the icon at the bottom right. of your snap. This icon shows you a list of all your friends, where you can select to whom you want to directly send your snap. Then, tap the white arrow in the lower right corner of your friends list to officially broadcast your photo or video. This will tell each friend that you have sent him a snapshot.
How to add Snapchat filters to your Snap
You want to add filters, the time, the weather or the current speed at a snap? Swipe left or right on the preview screen to browse your options.
Want to test Snapchat goals? These are animations that can be superimposed on your selfie. To use them, simply press and hold your face with the camera pointed at you until the Objective option appears below. You can then swipe to the left to browse options, like this:
Image credit: Snapchat
(Note: Snapchat also offers sponsored goals – like Gatorade's in # 4 on this list – but that's okay According to Financial Times a sponsored goal may cost up to $ 750,000 in certain situations.)
Note that something called Geofilters appears when you make slide your finger. On demand geofilters are available to businesses and individuals for purchase.
These special filters can be used for a specific event, company, or location. Brand logos and trademarks are allowed. Here is a product for the city of Boston, which we used in a flash at our event, INBOUND 2018:
How to view a friend who has you sent a courier  To view a snap that has been sent to you, swipe the screen of your camera to the right to see your list of friends. Snapshots that you have received directly from a friend will have a red square (still photo), purple (video) or blue (text message) to the right of their name. Tap this box once to see or play the snap. If you have multiple Snaps from the same friend, they will play as a flipbook.
Image Credit: Elite Daily
Here are useful tips for displaying other users' snaps :
- To skip a snap, tap the screen once.
- To quit, swipe down.
How to post a story Snapchat
see the stories of Snapchat: from your list Friends or from your page Discover .
From the list of your friends
To see the story of a user, swipe the screen to the left to see a list of your friends. The friends you recently interacted with will appear near the top. If they posted a story, you will see it instead of their name Bitmoji
Press the circular icon once next to the name of a user to open his story. To view your own story, tap your profile icon at the top left of your friends list.
From Your Discovery Page
To see the stories of all the people you added as a friend, swipe left twice on your discovery page. Each friend who has an active story will appear at the top in a small portrait-shaped rectangle, as shown below:
Stories are available for 24 hours (unless they are deleted). During this 24 hour period, you can watch the story as many times as you like.
Below the stories of your friends, you will see a section called " For You ". It's here that you can view Snapchat Snapchat Stories, recommended by Snapchat and created by companies with Snapchat Business accounts. In the section below, we'll talk more about how businesses can use their accounts to get the most views and appear on their customers' discovery pages.
Here are some helpful tips for posting Snapchat's stories:
- To skip to the next story, swipe left.
- To quit, swipe down.
- To record a story, follow the instructions here. 19659012] How to Use Snapchat for Business: 6 Tips from HubSpot's Snapchat Playbook
1. Create a personal Snapchat account.
Before investing in Snapchat marketing for your brand, you need to create a personal account. Follow the accounts that your audience might follow. Add your friends and family. Just start using it. Your personal Snapchat account can help you understand the subtleties and nuances of how people use the platform, which will help you make better decisions and create better content.
feels like the native content created by the average Snapchat user. So, use your personal account to play with the front camera, explore the different filtering options, and dress up your snaps with doodles and emoticons. The more you send and hire from Snaps, the better you'll understand how the platform works.
2. Sign up for your Snapchat business account
Once you know the ins and outs of your personal Snapchat account, it's time to create your Business account. To do this, log in to Snapchat online and complete this form.
As stated above, this registration form allows you to enter the name of your company, your name, your professional email address, the location of the company and its main motto (dollars, books, etc.). Tap "Continue" at the bottom and follow the instructions to attach your Business account to your personal Snapchat account and officially launch your page.
3. Create a measurement plan.
Here's the truth: Talk to any social media manager and they'll tell you that Snapchat's analysis is painful. At the end of the day, you're restricted to views (), screenshots (), and the answers. That's all.
You can not even get a total number of followers: Snapchat replaces what would be your number of followers by a score that reflects the sum of the messages you send and receive.
context to put things in perspective. Here are some tips we chose along the way to help us better understand our performance Snapchat:
- Looking at your retention rate (what percentage of people look at each image in your story) will allow you to compare stories between them. What are the best performances? We learned that there was a good point around 90 seconds, and that people were starting to lose speed.
- Looking at the percentage of people who dropped out after the second Snap, this will help you evaluate the general interest. . If 30% of our audience dropped after the second Snap, we probably missed the mark.
- Reviewing qualitative comments can help you better understand your success. If people send you messages that they like your latest posts, you're probably on the right track.
Another tricky part of Snapchat's analysis? In order to accurately collect numbers, you must log in and write or capture them exactly 24 hours after taking the first Snap. Otherwise, they disappear forever. (We've learned the hard way a few times.) You can find your views and commitments on the "Stories" screen.
At HubSpot, we record the following information about each story:
- Story Title: What do you call this story?
- Number of Snaps: How many individual Snaps are there in your history?
- Story Duration: How long does your story last from beginning to end?
- Views on the first image
- Views on the last image
- Retention rate: What is the percentage of people who start your computer? story until the end?
- Commitments: How many people take a screenshot and send a direct message in response?
4. Source of content and ideas of your team.
Finding the time to come up with creative and engaging content ideas for Snapchat can be a daunting task, especially if you're the only one at work.
we turned to our collective team for ideas and perspectives. This is a particularly interesting tip if you work in a company with global offices, as this can help you gather interesting stories from around the world.
Here's how we approached this awareness:
- sent an email to the company wide to ask anyone wishing to appear on Snapchat. This gave us an impressive list of people interested in being on camera or creating stories themselves.
- We then created an internal Slack chain for all those who were interested. We used this platform to request volunteers for specific shootings and for general ideas.
If you're struggling to get internal support, you might consider explaining how some teams might be involved in the business. Snapchat Account For example, our social media team works closely with the culture team to highlight our corporate culture. By creating stories that illustrate life at HubSpot, they can share our culture while lightening our daily content load.
5. Concentrate on the variety.
If you want to keep an engaged audience, it's important that you commit to regularly publishing quality content on Snapchat. What makes a Snap or Story Awesome? To begin: Variety. Snapchat users like to consume stories and information in different formats, and the app offers plenty of space for creative applications.
For example, here are some ideas and formats we are currently testing:
- Video vs.
- Graphics / drawing / emojis
- Selfie cam vs style video. through the company. Here are some first results:
- Rule of short videos. Our best-performing videos are all under 60 seconds long.
- Pay attention to the timing. Elements such as reporting or live coverage of major events of the company tend to be performing well.
- A wider net. We have integrated content from our offices in Sydney and Dublin, which helps us to develop a global perspective. This initiative was very well received by our Snapchat audience.
Looking for inspiration? Check out what 10 of the best brands on Snapchat are doing to engage their audience.
6. Look for creative ways to grow your audience.
On most social networks, it's easy to navigate and find things that might interest you. For example, on Instagram, you can search for a particular hashtag or search for photos marked with a specific location. Snapchat, however, does not facilitate "discovery". And therefore, to create an audience, you have to be a bit creative.
When we launched HubSpot's Snapchat account, we leveraged other company channels – blog posts, social media, and so on. – to attract subscribers. As a result, we gained momentum. The problem is that continuing to drive growth has been a challenge.
To avoid slowing down once your initial enthusiasm fades, we recommend developing a long-term promotional plan to keep you informed of what's going to happen.
Some additional tips to increase your reach:
- Influential partners or influencers. Invite others to appear on your account and have them spread the word on their network.
- Newsjack. We did some HotSpakes from HubSpot, our version of a quick response to industry news. Our account was mentioned by other people on other social platforms, which helps to get the message across.
- Join the conversation. We recently took over from Social Media Marketing World, highlighting some keynote speakers, sessions and key lessons from the conference. In 2016, we published an article on redemption using the hashtag # SMMW16 and we witnessed a notable spike in followers that day.
7. Do not be taken to perfection.
: We like to edit, adjust, modify until the last second, but if you do well Snapchat, it's not going to be perfect.
Stories should be fast, fast and not too much produced. of our most successful stories was just a quick video of me sitting on a chair in reaction to a Facebook platform ad in real time. I saw the press release, ran into an empty room and shot a few quick snapshots explaining the change. That's it.
Keep in mind that photos will not be of professional quality … and that they do not have to be. Your goal should be to find a way to create authentic and engaging moments and stories, so try not to think about it too much.